Columbus is home to one of the most happening craft beer scenes in the US, so every week is a good week to be a beer drinker in the 614. However, the next week promises to be an extra special time for local beer lovers. Columbus Craft Beer Week is upon us. Oh, the humanity!
Columbus Craft Beer Week (CCBW) is the brainchild of the Ohio Craft Beer Association, a not-for profit organization founded in 2008 to unify the Ohio brewing community, market Ohio manufactured beers throughout the state and beyond, and promote a strong beer industry in Ohio. The first ever CCBW showcases the talented breweries, beer bars, and restaurants of Columbus. And with over 200 events going down around town, it's easy to see why it will take a week, or nine days actually, to happen.
Let's face it, there is no way in hell anyone is going to be able to partake in all 200+ events without sacrificing his or her liver. But don't get all fussy about it, you fussy craft beer fussifist. Pencil Storm has you covered. Although our resident craft beer fussoligists did not carefully review all 200+ of the amazing CCBW events, we did browse through the entire list, which still took a helluva long time. Here are 5 CCBW events that caught our eye:
1. Collaboration Beer Growler Tap Takeover at The Ohio Taproom Saturday, May 2, 11AM-9PM. One of the coolest things about CCBW are the collaboration beers that the various Columbus breweries are doing with each other. Seventeen local breweries randomly selected teams to create beers exclusively for CCBW. You can read all about the beers here. One of the coolest things about Grandview is The Ohio Taproom, a growler shop serving only Ohio brewed beers. This event will be spread out over the day, so if you don't do big crowds you will enjoy the opportunity to sample all of the collaboration beers in the relaxed, charming surrounds of the The Ohio Taproom and take home growlers of your favorites.
2. Hoof Hearted Hot Tub Hang at The Daily Growler - Powell - Saturday, May 2, 5-9PM. This is your chance to hang out with the zany folks from Hoof Hearted Brewing in an inflatable hot tub and sample their insanely popular brews. BYOS - bring your own Speedo. If you haven't yet heard about Hoof Hearted, you will very soon. Brewer Trevor Williams has been called the "David Lee Roth of dry-hopping." Hoof Hearted favorites Tub Life and Thud Staff will be featured, as well as their newest creation called Syzzurp and the long awaited re-release of Roller Blabe, an intensely hopped Double IPA collaboration between Hoof Hearted and event host The Daily Growler.
3. Sour Beers of Ohio at World of Beer Brewery District - Monday, May 4, 3PM-2AM Believe it or not, there is much more to craft beer than IPA's. Beers that are intentionally sour and tart are one of the fastest growing segments in craft beer. So pucker up and head over to the World of Beer in the Brewery District and try some of Ohio's finest sours from Columbus-based Actual Brewing, Rivertown (Cincinnati) and Thirsty Dog (Akron).
4. Four String Brewing Co. Tap Takeover, Food Pairing and Live Music at Woodlands Tavern - Thursday, May 7, 5PM-2AM If you are a Pencil Storm regular then you know that we have serious man-love for Columbus brewer and bass player Dan Cochran and his brewery, Four String Brewing Co. Seven different Four String brews will be on tap at this event including a new Solo Series, a "Secret Stash" saison and their CCBW collaboration beer, as well as a special cask of Suncaster Summer Wheat. There will also be food pairings from Woodlands' new kitchen. And if that's not enough, enjoy some locally brewed music from Pencil Storm favorite Erica Blinn & the Handsome Machine!
5. Six One Pour at Brewmaster's Gate - May 9, 5-9PM - The culmination of CCBW happens with Six One Pour, the ultimate Ohio Craft Beerfest at the historic Brewmaster's Gate in The Brewery District. More than two dozen Ohio craft breweries will be on hand to sample their Ohio brewed beer. All seven of the collaboration beers will be available, along with live music and a special menu created by Chipotle for the occasion. Click the link above for all the details, including a list of attending Ohio breweries and the beers they will be serving.
To be quite honest, there are so many great events to choose from throughout CCBW you can't go wrong with any of them. The entire calendar of events is here. So have at it. Let's get fussy, Columbus!