It's that time of year again. All the stores are playing fifty different versions of "Baby, It's Cold Outside" and "Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire." Out of the thousands of Christmas songs that have been recorded over the years, they always seem to play the same ones over and over again until the Christmas spirit has been sucked out completely. It becomes mind-numbing.
This is the first Christmas season in almost 16 years that I haven't worked in a big box retail environment and I must say it has brought some joy back into my Christmas music listening experience.
I thought since the Pencil Storm staffers are taking some time off for the holidays I would compile a list of some Christmas tunes that you probably won't hear in your local Wally World. Some you may be familiar with and others you probably haven't heard at all.
So, sit back and pour yourself a glass of your favorite Christmas beverage and enjoy the music......
1. Material Issue - Merry Christmas Will Do
Power Pop Christmas perfection from Chicago Illinois' Material Issue. This song was originally featured on a compilation cd called Yuletunes, It's kinda hard to find but worth searching for.
2. The Darkness - Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)
Completely over the top and exactly what you want from The Darkness and a great Christmas song.
3. Fountains Of Wayne - I Want An Alien For Christmas
Another Power Pop take on Christmas. Who wouldn't want an alien for Christmas???
4. Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Want To Fight Tonight)
Punk rock Christmas classic!
5. Enuff Z Nuff - Happy Holiday
Cool tune from Blue Island Illinois Glam Power Poppers Enuff Z Nuff. The song was originally record for the soundtrack of Home Alone 2 but wasn't used. It found it's way onto the bands Peach Fuzz cd and has become a holiday favorite.
6. Hanoi Rocks - Dead By Xmas (What more could I add to that?)
7. Lillian Axe - Here Is Christmas
Great take on a song written by Ann Wilson of Heart.
8. Shoes - This Christmas
Another one from the Yuletunes Christmas compilation.
9. Eels - Christmas Is Going To The Dogs
This song comes from the soundtrack for the remake of How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The soundtrack turned out much better than the film.
10. The Kinks - Father Christmas
Best Christmas song ever!
11. Billy Squier - Christmas Is The Time To Say I Love You
A personal favorite of mine and I wrote all about it last year. Check it out here.
12. The Three Wise Men (XTC) - Thanks For Christmas
13. Cheap Trick - Come On Christmas/I Want You For Christmas
Hey, it's Cheap Trick, of course they get two entries.....
14. Tom Waits - Christmas Card From A Hooker In Minneapolis
Kind of a depressing Christmas tune, but sometimes Christmas is a little depressing...
15. Colin Gawel - Still Love Christmas
It's no easy task to write an original Christmas tune but I think Colin Gawel nailed it.
16. The Tories - Wonderful Life
Technically not a Christmas song but it's lyrics are based on one of the most popular Christmas movies of all time It's A Wonderful Life. It's a crime that more people don't know this song and this band.
Scott Carr is a guitarist who plays in the Columbus, OH bands Radio Tramps and Returning April. Scott is also an avid collector of vinyl records and works at Lost Weekend Records. So...if you are looking for Scott....you'll either find him in a dimly lit bar playing his guitar or in a record store digging for the holy grail.